Demolished Heritage Buildings
Blacktown Railway Station was a magnificent sandstone structure unfortunately demolished. The sandstone blocks were used in another area of Sydney. The railway line to Blacktown was opened 4th July 1860 and once had a private railway connecting the line to Prospect Quarry. (The quarry had opened in the 1880's.) The railway line crossed the Great Western Highway at its junction with Toongabbie Road and operated from 7th April 1902 until 1945 . Prior to 1902 a narrow gauge tramway was used. There was also another private railway which ran from Prospect Quarry to Fairfield and operated from 26th October 1925 to 2nd June 1945.
Bungarribee House, Doonside was built in 1827 for Colonel John Campbell, NSW Governor's Secretary. It was located on Doonside Road. Purchased by Thomas Icely in 1828, it was unfortunately demolished in 1957, by the Overseas Telecommunications Commission. Images by Barry Wollaston provided with kind permission of The Historic Houses Trust of NSW.
Rear view of Bungarribee House
Bungarribee House's rotunda verandah.
Fox-under-the-Hill was located where Fox Hills Golf Club is now located and marked the commencement of the Prospect village. Described in 1909 by William Frame as:
Gipps Road Cottage, Greystanes. The home of John Booth, a farmer and alderman of Prospect and Sherwood Council. This cottage was down the road from Grey Stanes. It stood on the present day Gipps Road, Greystanes.
Image drawn by Ian McGowan
Grey Staneswas built in the late 1830's by William Lawson. It was the home of Nelson Simmons Lawson, William Lawson's son. Described in 1909 by William Frame as
Grey Stanes Lodge The original entrance to Greystanes property. The gates still stand on Greystanes Road, Greystanes.
Greystanes Gates These are Grey Stanes gates on Greystanes Road, Greystanes.The gates were widened to allow trucks to enter the BMG/Boral quarry. The land around these gates has now been developed into a housing estate.
The surrounding hills were once heavily forested as the image on the right shows. I have read old newspaper articles that stated that the area was to be returned to its original state when Blue Metal Gravel (BMG) closed. Perplexingly this has not happened and the ridge on the other side is now heavily industrialized at a loss to Blacktown residents. The industrialized area is the responsibility of Holroyd Council.
The Robin Hood Hotel located directly opposite Blacktown Railway Station, it was demolished on a Sunday and without prior notice. In fact many patrons arrived the following Monday to find the building flattened by bulldozer. The Robin Hood bottle shop had been selling wine the previous Saturday night at a huge discount. Next door to the Robin Hood stood the Maid Marion milk bar, once one of few in Blacktown, the other being the West End milk bar and The Star.
William Lawson's Cairn, Prospect, marking the site of his home Veteran Hall. The cairn also commemorates Lawson as an explorer. Lawson, Wentworth and Blaxland first found a path for oxen to cross the Blue Mountains, opening the way to the west. All three have towns in the Blue Mountains named after them. The site is well above the water line of Prospect Reservoir and it did not need to be demolished for Prospect Reservoir. The cairn was built in 1969 by two Water Board engineers.
Site of Veteran Hall looking south. The site lies beneath Prospect Hill.
All that is left of Veteran Hall. The lone stone. The image also shows a paling from a split log fence